If you read my last tweet, you'll know that my eyes are slowly drooping and my bed is starting to feel more like a cloud than a proper work desk. I've been hard at work all day, cleaning the house with the help of green tea and songza, and now finally sitting in my room doing homework. Part of this homework was to write a speech, a persuasive speech so after some thought I realized... who doesn't like to nap?! I could probably persuade my class to do that, and in the process I totally persuaded myself. So, if you're looking for a reason to nap, look no further! Here's a few reasons you should take a nap, right now... or when you can...
- An ideal nap lasts 20-30 minutes, but napping is personal so go with what best suits you.
- A nap of 60 minutes can improve alertness for up to 10 hours
- Siesta cultures (afternoon nap) have a lower rate of coronary heart disease
- 1% or 1.9 million car accidents are cause by fatigue, don't be tired... take a nap!
- More than 85% of mammals are polyphasic sleepers, humans are in the minority of monophasic sleepers, meaning with have one distinct sleep period and one distinct wakeful period
- A study at NASA on sleepy military pilots and astronauts found that a 40-minute nap improved performance by 34% and alertness 100%
Tips for taking the perfect nap(s):
1) Find a cave, aka make sure it's dark. Your body responds to light so you'll have a harder time sleeping the brighter is, suck it up and get a goofy eye mask! Or make your own like this...
2) Take a blanket. Your body temperature lowers slightly when you sleep, so don't risk waking up because of a chill. Or you could wear this really cool Harry Potter snuggie, ten points for gryffindor!!
3) Set an alarm so you don't oversleep. Make yourself laugh and give yourself some motivation while you're at it..
Well, if you're ready to take a nap now I've done my job. Sweet dreams!!