Wednesday 31 October 2012

Magic Muffin Mix: Lo's version

The Magic Muffin Mix found here was put together by Taralynn at undressed skeleton, I did not make the original recipe, I just modified it to fit what I like. Taralynn's got a great fitness/healthy eating blog, check it out if you're into that, she's got tons of great recipes and tips on staying healthy.

One of the recipes I've tried of hers is the magic muffin mix, very simple and healthy too! The only thing I didn't like is I prefer not to use stevia, It's hard to find unless you want to open 200 coffee sized packets (thanks little sister for helping me do that!). Also, I simply don't like the taste of it. Instead I substituted honey and the muffins turned out great! Keeping with the flavours of fall, I made up a couple variations of my own.


So the base recipe is: 
1 cup whole wheat flour 
1 tsp baking soda 
1/2 cup applesauce (sweetened) 
3/4 cup honey
1 tbsp vanilla 
2 egg whites

Preheat Oven to 350 C
Mix Liquid Ingredients together
Slowly add dry Ingredients
Fill muffin liners 3/4 full
bake 15-20 minutes

Makes 8 muffins
... I usually double or triple it because, well, I love muffins. 

Banana Walnut
Add 1-2 bananas
1/4 cup chopped walnuts 

Pumpkin Spice 
2 heaping tbsp Pumpkin Puree
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
I saved some of the seeds to put on top of the muffins. Also, use as much or as little spice as you like, this is just roughly what I used. 

Apple Oatmeal Cinnamon 
1 chopped apple
1/4 cup oatmeal 
2 tbsp applesauce
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Again, I kept some oatmeal aside to sprinkle on top as well as a few thin slices of apple to make it look nice. 

Fun Facts about muffins: Want to triple the recipe to try them all, but know you won't eat them all before mould does the job for you? FREEZE THEM! Perfect for packing a lunch in the morning, by snack time you're good to go.
Dollorama has super cute cupcake liners, check it out next time you're there. 

Pair one of these super healthy muffins with your favourite tea and you've got a light breakfast or midmorning snack that you won't have to feel guilty about. I've got some Tazo Passion Tea here, which is also amazing chilled with lemonade, but I'll tell you about that some other time! 


2 comments:

  1. These are my favorite! Thanks for posting. Now I don't need to feel guilty about a muffin for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete