Monday 5 November 2012

Renee's Recipe Box: Double Chocolate Cheesecake

Well folks, this is the first feature section on my blog! You heard me, get ready for a new regular. I hope you'll enjoy it, actually I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Allow me to explain... For christmas this year I wanted to do something a little more personal, and that was easy on the pocket being a student and all. This "gift" in particular will be going to my boyfriend's mom aka the biggest domestic diva I know. You'd be stupid to ever turn down food at their house, and you bet there's dessert after every meal. But when you cook and bake like this woman how could you not indulge a little?! The gift I'll be giving this year is the gift of an organized and typed recipe box (or binder, or something). So I figured why not share some of the delicious recipes I'll be transcribing? And hey, let's even go a step further and try to actually make some of them. 
So, whenever I make a recipe, or whenever I feel like sharing they'll be a new addition to the online version of Renee's Recipe Box.

And the best part is,
All the recipes from Renee's Recipe Box will have an index card (5x8) copy of the recipe that you can download and print for yourself!

And, the first will be...........


Double Chocolate Cheesecake

Prep Time: 20 minutes      Baking Time: 45 minutes      Servings: 10-12



Crust
1 cup crushed chocolate wafers (I used Oreo crumbs)
3 tbsp margarine or butter, melted 

Filling
3 pkgs Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese, softened 
3/4 cup sugar 
3 large eggs 
1 tbsp vanilla 
3 squares Baker's White Chocolate, melted
3 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted
2 tbsp raspberry schnapps liqueur (optional, I opted out... what I didn't have that flavour of schnapps!)

Glaze 
3/4 cup whipping cream 
6 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped


.  .  .  

Crust: - Combine crumbs and margarine, press onto bottom of 9 inch (23 cm) springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (180C) for 10 minutes. 

Filling: - Beat cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla. 
- Remove 1/2 of the batter to another bowl. Stir melted white chocolate and liqueur into this portion.  
- To remaining batter, blend in melted chocolate. Pour chocolate batter in crumb-lined pan; spread evenly. 
- Bake at 425F (220C) for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 250F (120C). Bake for 30-45 minutes longer or until center of cake is just barely firm. 
- Remove from oven and run knife around sides; let cool completely before removing sides. 

Glaze: - In small heavy saucepan, bring cream to a simmer over low heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Spoon over cake. With metal spatula, spread to cover top, allowing some to run over edge to cover sides. Garnish as desired. 
... I'm just going to be honest with you and tell you that I screwed up the glaze, I think I burnt it, or maybe it was because I tried to cheat and use one square of white chocolate... so don't do that.

Overall, I definitely approve this recipe! It was the first cheesecake I've ever made and it turned out great. It was a lot more work in the kitchen than I'm used to, but it was definitely worth it. It's also roommate approved! Try it out some time, and look for more additions to Renee's Recipe Box soon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment